Wednesday, February 11, 2009

RAD Kids

Jonathan's class has spent the last month or so in PE learning self defense. It's a program called RAD Kids and last night they demonstrated what they learned for their parents.
Here are a couple pictures of the kids demonstrating what they learned.
At the end they had to go through a sort of obstacle course of strangers and use their skills to get away.




5 comments:

Kelly said...

that's awesome! I wish they'd teach this at our school - I often wonder if my kids would be able to get away from someone. They do a little self defense in Jake's karate class, but I wonder if he would be able to put it together in a helpful way if he was under any stress. I've also heard of kids that take martial arts but don't use it on strangers because they've been told not to "use karate outside of class" ! Ha!

Kim said...

Yeah, I'm so glad they teach this. Jonathan takes Karate too, but I like how in RAD kids they teach them very specifically what to do if they are approached by a stranger and if they are grabbed by a stranger.

Hey, maybe you should be PTA pres at your school and then you can make an executive decision to have this class.

Brenna said...

Let me preface my comment by saying I think this is great....but, and 'obstacle course of strangers' sounds creepy as all get out. Just sayin'.

Trimble said...

Wow, what a cool thing!

Kim said...

Brenna, you crack me up. You're right, it does sound creepy. But doesn't my son give a mean elbow to the face?