Never tell a skinny woman you're on a diet. She'll get that special gleam in her eye and spill all her top secret skinny woman knowledge.
She may begin by extolling the virtues of celery. "Did you know it takes more calories to burn off celery than you get from eating it?" Another big secret is bringing little baggies of veggies everywhere you go, so if you're tempted to get that donut you already have a snack.
I'm really good at deluding myself, but even I can't make believe that celery is a tasty treat. And given the choice between carrot sticks and a donut it's really no contest. This is why she is the skinny woman and I am not.
The thing is, I really do appreciate their well intentioned advice. But do they think we didn't already know that vegetables are healthier than potato chips? I'll guarantee you that the overweight woman knows more about nutrition than the average skinny woman. Why? Because we have been to every weight loss program, we've seen nutritionists, we've read all the books. Trust me, we know.
I can't speak for everyone, but what it comes down to for me is changing habits and finding motivation. Making the voices in my head that tell me I'll just gain it all back shut up. It's about finding healthy things that aren't too repulsive to me and still allowing myself the good stuff in smaller doses. Because some days I'd rather cut off my right ear than eat broccoli and the thought of no more chocolate ever might make me suicidal. And I will never be able to convince myself that celery is a tasty treat.
disclaimer: In rereading this I fear I may offend some of my skinny girl friends. That is not my intention. I love you all, even if you do tell me to eat celery. Blech. It's late and I didn't get enough chocolate today.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Almost middle of the night musings...
Posted by Kim at 11:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










8 comments:
Its funny how you say you would become suicidal with out choclate cause didn't you go like an entire year or more without eating it.
Oy, weight loss. Disheartening just thinking about it. My problem isn't sweets; it's the savory. I could sit and eat Ruffles and onion dip forever. And I really like celery, but I'm guessing it doesn't hold the same calorie burning properties when it's slathered in cream cheese.
Actually I went about 4 years without chocolate and 5 or more without caffeine. Oh how the mighty have fallen. It's pathetic that I can't give it up again.
Brenna - I might actually consider eating celery slathered in cream cheese. And I could eat potato chips forever too. :(
preach on, sister!!
Love this! Thanks for the laugh. I am craving chips and dip now!
I still can't believe that you went without chocolate for 4 years and without caffiene for 5. I am really impressed! I can't even go a day. Oh who am I kidding I can't even go 3 hours! I love my chocolate and diet coke. A few months back I was going to give up caffeine. Well I was having anxiety and couldn't even sleep just thinking about not having it. So needless to say I think that I drink even more now! I love food! Well except I am with on the celery. I can do without that!
Brook - You are my proof that you can still lose weight while drinking diet coke. I'm so glad, because I don't want to give it up.
I don't even know why broccoli exists. I'd rather eat dirt. And celery, they're nothing tasty about it. Plus, how many calories can there actually be in celery, of course you burn more calories from eating it than what's actually in it.
Post a Comment