Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Draper Temple Open House

We went to the Draper Temple open house on Monday. I had never been to a temple open house before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was kind of worried that it would be too long and Jonathan would get bored. Not true at all! It's a relatively short tour, starting off with a short video about the temple and what we do there. The inside of the temple is beautiful, of course. I enjoyed the murals and other artwork on the walls. I tried to be sort of a tour guide for Jonathan, but the only thing that really impressed him was the baptismal font. If you want to see a picture of one, go here.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=637e1b08f338c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=5e38f48fa2d20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1

They really put a lot of work into making things flow smoothly. I've heard that in past open houses people had to wait in long lines outside the temple. Now they are having people make reservations and you are assigned to park in one of 3 or 4 different church parking lots and take a bus to the temple. They are so organized that there is no waiting in long lines, which was really nice for people with children.

The open house is open to anyone who wants to see the new temple and there are still reservations available. And it's free.

http://www.lds.org/reservations/0,10751,1619-1-501,00.html




6 comments:

Trimble said...

Thanks for the info. The no wait thing will be really nice when we take Danger. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

SarahAnne said...

We are going in March. I'm excited to take my kids. I remember snipits of the open house for the Boise temple, but I was quite young. I thought the booties over the shoes were funny. LOL Glad you guys had a good time!

Kim said...

They didn't make us wear booties, but they did have the floor completely covered with plastic or carpet scraps to keep it clean.

Rachel said...

I am excited to take the kids in Feb. Thanks for the update on what to expect.

Fancypants said...

We went last night. It was beautiful and yes, the artwork was incredible. I especially liked the one in the chapel, Mary and Jesus at the tomb. Touching.

Brook said...

We took our kids to the one in Rexburg last year. It was really neat. We should try to go to the one in Draper. They are a neat experience.