This is what happens when I don't blog for a few days. You get all my random thoughts in one big jumble.
Last night was a literacy night at school for the parents of 1st graders. I know, I know, Jonathan is a good reader. I had at least two people question why I was even there. But just because a kid can read, doesn't mean he always wants to. So, I went and they had some fun ideas for getting kids to read, which I really need. Before you read the book, discuss the plot. Make it sound like a movie trailer, really play it up so they want to know what happens. Also, let them look at the pictures before they start reading. This goes back to the movie trailer thing and getting them excited. Maybe this is all no brainer stuff to some of you, but it never occurred to me to make reading fun. I've always been the reading nazi. Give him the book, set the timer for 10 minutes and that's it.
I don't even know why I'm bringing this up, I don't want a pity party or anything, but that green eyed monster showed up unexpectedly last night. I noticed that a mom I got acquainted with last year (who already has 3 or 4 very young children) was obviously pregnant again. I have no idea why this particular woman's pregnancy brought out the jealousy, but it did. And I felt bad about that. Now, so you don't feel sorry for me, we are making good progress in getting approved for adoption. Russ and I both have interviews next week with our case worker.And speaking of parenting, I started a Love & Logic class tonight. Past experience with certain L&L parents (who shall remain nameless) has kind of turned me off to this type of parenting, but I discovered tonight that you don't have to carry it as far as some people do. I'm all for responsible children, but parents need to act responsible too. Anyway, I can see how their ideas will help me deal with my crazy 6 going on 13 year old if I am disciplined enough to follow thru. Wish me luck.
And just for fun, here are some pictures of Jonathan and Russ fighting over the TV remote. I guess sometimes I do have more than one child.










7 comments:
I love Mrs. Lewis' reading seminars. I found them very enlightening.
I am so excited about your adoption process. We're praying for you.
I really need to break down and read Love and Logic. I too have bad associations.
And hee hee on the remote wars.
I bet you and I have one of the same bad associations. I will bring you the books I have if you want to read them.
So which of them won the remote? LOL!
Jonathan always wins.
I wish that I would have been in love and logic instead of the daycare! We had a puker and a child drop a load in her underpants! Tonight wasn't much better we had two accidents!
I'm sorry, Brooke. I'm glad it wasn't my child causing you all that grief. Hopefully next week some of them will find babysitters. ;)
I am so bummed I missed that seminar! I had about four other things scheduled for the same night! Good luck with the adoption!!
Post a Comment